THIS CONTEST IS NOW OVER. WATCH FOR A WINNER TO BE ANNOUNCED SHORTLY.
Looking for a great new book by an author you may not have tried before? Looking for a buttload of great prizes that you can win just for trying out that book?
No problem! Check out this contest. Purchase a copy of Jeff VanderMeer's critically-adored outstanding new novel Veniss Underground (the signed, hardcover limited edition) anytime before June 18th, 2003 at 11:59 PM EST and you'll automatically be entered into our sweepstakes!
(By the way, if you've already bought this book from us, then you're ALREADY entered in this sweepstakes!)
So what do you win? We're glad you asked! THREE lucky winners will get a Shocklines/Veniss Underground Prize Package that consists of:
Is this a damn sweet package or what? And we're giving THREE of these bundles away as prizes (all three are identical)!
- A $25 Shocklines.com Gift Certificate
- An extremely rare Jeff VanderMeer promotional item called "The Exchange" done for his collection City of Saints and Madmen -- a short chapbook (in Finnish, not English) that is supposedly an artifact from the city of Ambergis brought back by the author and the illustrator, Eric Schaller (from City of Saints and Madmen) with an explanation card in English signed by VanderMeer. The American edition of this chapbook made Terri Windling's shortlist of the best of the year for Year's Best Fantasy & Horror. You probably won't be able to read this Finnish version, but it's attractive, great to look at, and rare!
- A promotional City of Saints and Madmen chocolate bar! Mmmmm...full of VanderMeery goodness!
- Speaking of VanderMeery goodness, you'll also get a promotional City of Saints and Madmen fortune cookie
You can enter one of two ways:
1) If you place an order before June 18th, 2003 at 11:59 PM EST on our site for of the signed hardcover edition of Veniss Underground then you automatically are entered in our random drawing for this prize. If you order more than one copy you will only be entered once.
Please note: If you have already ordered this from Shocklines.com BEFORE this sweepstakes, you WILL automatically be entered into this drawing.
2) You can also enter by sending a 3" x 5" postcard to us. See the official rules below for details on that option. Again, no matter how many postcards you send, you'll only be entered once.
That's it! Sorry, but this is only open to U.S. residents (international fans might want to have a U.S. friend place an order or send in a postcard for them, but the official winner MUST be a U.S. resident.) We'll do a random drawing sometime around July 1st and announce the 3 winners. Make sure to check out the official rules below for all the gory details (damn small print).
No Purchase Necessary.
The Shocklines/Veniss Underground("Sweepstakes") begins May 17th, 2003, at 6 a.m. EST and ends June 18, 2003, at 11:59 p.m. EST. Sponsored by Matt Schwartz doing business as Shocklines.com ("Sponsor").
1. NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS SWEEPSTAKES.
2. ELIGIBILITY. United States law governs this sweepstakes. From the time of entry through the final date of prize fulfillment, each Sweepstakes entrant and winner must be a legal resident of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia and 18 years of age or older. VOID IN PUERTO RICO, THE U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS, U.S. MILITARY INSTALLATIONS IN FOREIGN COUNTRIES AND ALL OTHER U.S. TERRITORIES AND POSSESSIONS AND WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. All decisions of the Sponsor with respect to this Sweepstakes are final.
3. ENTER BY INTERNET. You may enter this sweepstakes via the Internet by logging on to the Website at www.shocklines.com and placing an order for the hardcover edition of Jeff VanderMeer's novel Veniss Underground. Sponsor must receive all Internet entries by June 18th, 2003, at 11:59 p.m. EST. Orders that are incomplete or canceled by the company or customer are void. ONLY ONE ENTRY PER PERSON WILL BE ACCEPTED, regardless of how many orders are placed. In the event of a dispute about the identity of an entrant, each entry will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at time of entry. Authorized account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an Internet Service Provider, online access provider or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. With respect to the winning entry, the winner may be required to provide proof that the winner is the authorized account holder of the email address associated with the winning entry.
4. ENTRY BY MAIL: You may enter this sweepstakes via the United States Postal System by sending a 3"x5" postcard to:
302 A W. 12th Street #241
New York, NY 10014
The postcard must contain the following information on it:
The entrant's name, home address, phone number, email address (if any), age, and name of contest (e.g. "Shocklines/Veniss Contest". ONLY ONE ENTRY PER PERSON WILL BE ACCEPTED. The postcard MUST be postmarked between May 17th, 2003 and June 18th 2003 and MUST be received no later than June 25th, 2003.
5. SELECTION OF WINNERS. Winners will be selected on or about July 1st, 2003, by random drawing of all eligible entries received. The random drawing will be held under the supervision of Sponsor, whose decisions shall be final in all matters. Selected entrants will be notified by phone or email. If the prize is undeliverable, it may result in a disqualification of the selected entrant as a potential Prize Winner. Upon any such disqualification, an alternate sweepstakes entrant shall be selected by random drawing conducted by Sponsor. Acceptance of any prize constitutes the prize winner's permission to use such person's name, and city and state of residence for promotional purposes in connection with this Sweepstakes without further compensation or permission except where prohibited by law.
Entries become the property of the Sponsor and will neither be acknowledged nor returned. All entries are subject to verification prior to awarding of prizes.
6. PRIZE. Three (3) winners will receive a bundle that contains a $25 gift certificate to Shocklines.com, a Jeff VanderMeer promotional chapbook, a "City of Saints and Madmen" candy bar, and a "City of Saints and Madmen" fortune cookie. Approximate value of prize package: $30.00.
7. ODDS OF WINNING. Odds of winning a prize are determined by the total number of eligible entries received for the Sweepstakes.
8. RESTRICTIONS. The prize package consists of only the item specifically described as part of the prize. Sponsors will not replace any lost or stolen prize items once in the winner's possession. If prize cannot be awarded due to circumstances beyond the control of the Sponsors, a substitute prize of equal or greater retail value will be awarded. Sponsors shall not be liable to winner or any person claiming through winner for failure to supply the prize or any part thereof, by reason of any acts of God, any action(s), regulation(s), order(s) or request(s) by any governmental or quasi-governmental entity (whether or not the action(s), regulations(s), order(s) or request(s) prove(s) to be invalid), equipment failure, terrorist acts, air raid, blackout, act of public enemy, earthquake, war (declared or undeclared), fire, flood, epidemic, explosion, unusually severe weather, hurricane, embargo, labor dispute or strike (whether legal or illegal) labor or material shortage, transportation interruption of any kind, work slow-down, civil disturbance, insurrection, riot or any other cause beyond Sponsors' sole control (collectively, "Force Majeure Event").
9. CONDITIONS. By entering the Sweepstakes, entrants agree to be bound by the Official Rules. Entrant waives the right to assert as a cost of winning a prize any and all costs of verification and redemption of said prize and any liability which might arise from redeeming or seeking to redeem said prize. If the Sweepstakes is not capable of running as planned by reason of damage by computer viruses, worms or bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical limitations or failures, any Force Majeure Event or any other cause which, in the sole opinion of Sponsors, could corrupt, compromise, undermine or otherwise affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, viability or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes, Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole and absolute discretion, to modify these Official Rules and/or to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend all or any part of the Sweepstakes, and to select a winner from among all eligible entries received by Sponsors up until the time of such cancellation, termination, modification or suspension, as applicable. Sponsors reserve the right at their sole discretion to disqualify any individual that (i) tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operations of this Sweepstakes in any manner, (ii) violates the Official Rules, or (iii) acts in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS SWEEPSTAKES IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK CIVIL AND/OR CRIMINAL PROSECUTION AND/OR DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Any expenses and receipt and use of the prize and federal, state and local taxes and fees applicable in connection with the prize awarded are the sole responsibility of the winner. This sweepstakes is subject to all federal, state and local laws of the United States. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
10. WINNERS LIST. The winner's name will be posted on the site after prize is delivered.
|Shipping is FREE for any size order!|
Applicable to U.S. orders only.
International orders should email us at email@example.com for a shipping quote.
Please note that because some of the items we sell may be inappropriate for children, you must be 18 years old to purchase from us.
Want to link to our site? We're here to help.
Logo design provided by Caniglia.